9.20.2008

sail and (one of us) swim...


Today was the day! Today was the day that we were to head off and sail the Bay and potentially swim with dolphins! I was nervous and excited all at the same time! We set out on the Carino at 9:30ish on a beautiful, sunny day. We were expecting to be 2 of 8 or 10, but it turns out a bigger group joined and there were about 18 of us all in total… but it all worked out. They went through the basics with us and before we knew it we were soaking in the sun and sailing the Bay.


We came to our morning beaching spot… there were 2 ways to get shore – the wet way and the dry way. At this point – it was getting kinda overcast and the wind was picking up, but of course Josh took the wet way. Scuba Steve put on his wetsuit, grabbed his snorkel mask and fins, and jumped right into the freezing cold water. I, along with everyone else on the boat, took the dry way… crazy Canadian. We climbed around the rocks and such and then swam back to the boat… yes, WE SWAM back to the boat. I know. I’m tough.


Lunch and then more sailing. Looking for dolphins was the plan. At this point… the sun left us and the wind picked up. It was really really cold. Being in my wet swimsuit I decided it was best to take it off and opt for warm clothes… I had given up on the dolphins because all the other dolphin boat companies had radioed into our boat saying they hadn’t seen anything all day! I get all warm and comfy and then I hear “Dolphins!” Everyone crams onto the front of the boat and takes pics and oohs and awws over the HUGE bottlenose dophins… 3 of them, each 3 meters (over 10 feet!) long and about as round as Josh and I hugging (aww… cute! But BIG).


The lead lady observes them, makes sure there are no calves or that they’re not resting or feeding (because then we can’t swim with them)… they’re not and she says “If anyone wants to swim, come to the back” – I freeze. Josh goes and grabs his suit and he’s in the back. I grab the cameras and look dumbfounded… She starts to go through all the directions on what to do, what not to do, how to get in, etc, etc while people are still running around trying to find the dolphins. I, for some reason just can’t decide… DUH. Of course I want to swim with flipper but I think the overwhelming sensations in my brain caused me to have this deer in headlights pose. Needless to say, and I absolutely regret it now, but I turned into camera woman. So you better enjoy the shots!! J Don’t worry – there will be other dolphins and warmer waters… I promise…

Also - sorry for the music in the video... we'll try to re-edit without sound so you can hear us... but until then, groove out to the tunes and enjoy the flick...


No comments: