10.04.2008

we survived... barely...

So we just finished the kids' camp here at Carey Park... it was chaos. It was mayhem. It was out of control... but we made it. For those fellow Redwood Camp-ers, the week would be comparable to a Jr/Jr Higher Combo week, half of them Angel Tree kids, run by CILTs, with about 4 program staffers. Chaotic. For those non-Redwooders it was a bunch of 9-12 year old kids, 1/2 from social workers programs and the rest your normal, crazy 9-12 year olds (i.e. fist fights, swearing, you know, the usual pre-teen testosteronie attitude stuff...) that were in the care of 16-17 year olds hands with minimal adults on site to help out...

Josh and I were in charge of the helpers program -- it was fourteen 13-14 year olds that were basically in charge of keeping camp running... they did the dishes, served the foods, stocked the bathrooms, did the washing... it was a lot of work for the helpers, but even more work for Josh and I to break up their flirting or tracking them down to get them to actually work!! There was one point on Thursday night when I had 5 of my 8 girl helpers in tears, locked in bathroom stalls because they were so upset about what the other helper girls MAY HAVE said. It was the most drama filled week of my adult life... poor Josh had it bad with his overly flirtatious boys as well...

Needless to say, we're both ready for a break... tomorrow is road trip #3. We're heading off to the Coromandel for over a week! We'll check in from the road...

PS - LOTR fans, our trip to the Coromandel may be ending with a trip to Hobbiton... yep... get ready...

3 comments:

Lindsey Olsen said...

CALL ME!!!!!!!

Lindsey Olsen said...

I mean it....you should really call me now! I am sitting on skype right now hoping with all of my heart that you will be there, but i am sadly realizing that you probably already left on your trip. I love you!

Joeyolsen@gmail.com said...

Find middle earth Josh, find it and open up a portal for me! Thank you both for such a sweet message, Linds and I are so stoked to have you two back in the states with us. We love you too.

YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA