12.07.2008

who's your daddy?

My dad's here! He made it to Queenstown... by the skin of his teeth. After his flight from Phoenix to LAX was delayed more than 2 hours he had to RUN from terminal 1 to terminal 4 to catch his flight about 7 minutes before it was going to take off... but alas. He's' here!

We've had an eventful time so far... but it's all been planned around the big event... skydiving. My dad had said that he would want to go skydiving while here BUT one of the requirements to jump out of a plane (aside from insanity) is to weight 100kgs or less... that's 220lbs. My dad, one month ago, weighed 230ish. He's a tall guy but really fit so he thought he could do it... and he did! He made it down to 102kgs and that's just about the cut off. So since he's gotten here we've eaten salads and gone on hikes and done all this healthy stuff so that we could get him in the air. FINALLY the big day comes. It's sunny and we have a reservatioin about an hour outside of Queenstown. We leave the condo and head out there. We arrive and find out it's too windy and they've cancelled all their afternoon jumps. Curses! Screw it - we're having pizza...

We call ahead to book one for the next morning. A little pizza didn't hurt anyone, right? We'll the NZSkydive company would be the one to decide that. They had an opening at 7:30AM this morning and we took it. We woke up to sunny skies and drove out to meet our destiny. We got there and they had to evaluate the over 100kg-er. They decided he was good to go and so we were off! My dad and I went in the first plane and Josh kindly took the 2nd plane so his wife and father in law could freak out together... lucky him.

What a trip... or as my dad would say "What a kick in the butt!" - my dad jumped from the plane first and as soon as I saw him go I thought to myself "Holy crap... my dad just jumped out of a plane... my mom is going to kill me." But as you can probably guess, both our shoots opened and my dad had a blast (and so did we of course...). Can you believe it?? My dad skydove -- who's your daddy now? :)



view from our condo...

dad and i at the top of the gondola after a hike to shed some kgs...

riding down the gondola...

before he took his leap of faith...



we did it!

2 comments:

benson said...

hooray! you're all safe on "Dad's Great Adventures"- Looks really pretty with the waters and mountains--have fun and enjoy each day!
PS Audrey, I don't think you cried on this one- good for you!

Lindsey Olsen said...

I love the videos. I think they are my favorite part about this! Looks like you are having fun with Pops there! Love you guys.